- Get an Instagram Account– Simply download the Instagram app (iOS, Android or Windows), tap to open and follow the instructions (you can also tap Log In with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account).
- Do your “hair homework” – Find out where the market (including your clients) is looking for hair ideas and inspiration. Allure’s The 7 Best Instagram Accounts For Major Hair Inspirationis a great place to start.
- Enroll Your Team – Meet with your team to discuss how you’ll be using Instagram as a salon to help fill the chairs. share what you’ve seen and learned from your research. Remember that while your team members may already be using Instagram, odds are they’re not using it as a strategic business building tool. Involve as many people on your team in the Instagram project by getting ideas from the team as to what to post.
You Don’t Have to “Reinvent” the Wheel!
- Before and After Pictures (always a winner)
- Timely Posts (Prom/Mother’s Day etc…)
- Upcoming Deals or Events
Post your content consistently! Give the team tips on how to take great Instagram photos with a phone. For example:
- Get closer rather than zooming in. Instead of relying on the smartphone’s zoom function to give you good results, take a couple of steps forward yourself.
- Take more than one photo and from different angles. You don’t have to use them all, it’s just better to have a selection.
- Use a plain background – a white walk works best.
- Check your focus – Make sure you tap the screen to get the camera to automatically focus (before you take the picture).
- Get clients to smile! – There are loads of YouTube videos including “Tips of Posing for Photos”
- Overgram – Add text like words ie: “Before” and “After”
- Facetune – Fix up blemishes (pimples, red-eye etc…)
- PicFrame – Showcase your photos in frames (if you like that look)
- Aviary – Edit your photos by cropping and coloring
- Afterlight – Add filters to your photos
The only way that Instagram will work for your salon is if you work it. So just do it!